Click for the home page




The recent rebuilding of the sides of the entrance door has given it round pillars. Englefield's elevation shows how it was in 1779.

Evidence for the stone bench down each side still remains. The room was roofed with a stone barrel vault and the curve can be seen as it comes out from the wall.
The break in the east wall towards the prison is recent. Originally there were  five windows on the upper level. The arches of four of these have collapsed.

Back to Simple Interpretation or Detailed Interpretation